How-To : Install and Run VelServ - a Velbus TCP Gateway

are you sure the velserv has connection? Try to connect with Velbuslink, if that works you’re sure :slight_smile: .The problem is that velserv exists in 2 parts, a distribution part and a gateway. The distribution part keeps running even when the gateway is down, so it could look like velserv is still running.

behind restarting openhab2 I see the following in the log:

but the velbus link via tcp also doesn’t work.
So I think as Jeroends says the gateway is down, How can I restart it?

I also requested the status of the velserv:

Curious…

This command will restart VelServ

sudo systemctl restart velserv

Please do let us know how you get on

restarted the velserv:
cannot yet connect to Velbus link via tcp. on openhab I see:

have you’ve tried to connect with velbuslink? You can make a connection choosing the TCP/IP in the connection dialog, then fill in your ip address and port 6000. Do a scan and if you don’t get a timeout your velserv is up and running fine.
Other posibility is looking at a more verbose session of velserv. First stop your velserv service with “sudo systemctl stop velserv”. The go to the dir where the velserv program lives: “cd /opt/velserv”.
Here you can start the server manually and add some verbose options, in your case type: “./velserv -d /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Velleman_Projects_VMB1USB_Velbus_USB_interface-if00 -p 6000 -vvvvvv” and copy the output here. You can end the program with the key combination “ctrl c”. In this way you can see every client connect and disconnect + monitor the data on the bus.

succes

when I go through velbuslink I always get an error

an unexpected error has occurred, we have disconnected the bus

result of monitoring:

the ip address 127.0.0.1 is the internal loopback interface. You need to know the addrress of your openhab server where velserv is running

as I can see, velserv is running fine and I see openhab connecting and disconnecting all the time

with the rasperberry’s ip address where the server is running on the same error
Naamloos-18

strange, because velserv is running just fine, does the output shows you anything while trying to connect with velserv?

the output always says the same thing
Velserv: new connection from 127.0.0.1 on socket 7
Velserv: 127.0.0.1 on socket 7 hung up.

openhab connects to the server, but the server cannot find velbus things

And when you 're in verbose mode you can 't see anything else when trying to connect with velbuslink? Strange because it looks to me it 's just running fine. I suppose you 're running velbuslink at the same PC where you’re doing your ssh session to your openhab server?

yes with the same pc, I also tried it from another PC with the same result

Stop the bus !!!

I can see the error you’ve made.

“Why have you used the network binding to link to Velbus?”

If the version of the Velbus binding you’re using doesn’t have a Network Bridge, then it isn’t the latest version.

As opposed to…

The give away was the Channels :smile:

you could have a point there, but that still doesn’t explains why he can’t make a (simple) connection with Velbuslink. Very strange.

1 Like

now i have a velbus link: but the scan ,
but he doesn’t scan anythingNaamloos-9

At this stage…

I would suggest,

• Remove the network Thing (wait for openHAB2 to fully remove it)

• restart the PI

• Try to connect to the PI with VelbusLink

If that is good

• Add a Velbus Network Bridge

You might want to look at this topic, for guidance on removing any artifacts of the Velbus binding, then ensure you have the very latest version.

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/velbus-binding-for-openhab/14992/165

Scroll through that entire thread, there is lots of information in there.

ok that’s a start, next thing todo: list the serial devices to be sure you’re connecting the right one: give the output of the following command: “ls -all /dev/serial/by-id/”

1 Like

connect with velbus link is Ok

now i’m going to look for the latest version, my version was 2.4.0

1 Like