Light value Openhab

Also 1817, still 512 lx atm

I know, we’ve talked about that, you even sending me a (what’s it called?) :slightly_smiling_face:

I did, much appreciated, got the Velbus network bridge running, but for now I don’t seem to get my VMB1BL-thing running (that’s address 01, so that’s the one I started with, also I reckoned there’s no use in trying something else if I don’t get that one running :man_shrugging:)
I contacted @bouwkarolinemaarten to ask for his .things and .items file in the hope that’ll get me going.

Hi

I can send your an ODroid C2 if you want one :slight_smile:

As for your VMB1BL (I’ve never tried one, but I guess it’s supported)

If you bring in it using PaperUI, then tell us the full ID, which I assume will be something like

velbus:vmb1bl:networkbridge:01

It should be easy enough to create an Item file.

There are rollershutter items in that template :smile:

The VMB1BL works when imported bij Paper UI, so that should work too.
I found your rollershutter items, used them in exact the same way, so now I can see it in Paper UI items.
But as I don’t have a thing related, I can’t use the item.
So basically my problem is how do I add the things?
Tried both:

and
both in a .things file
Both don’t seem to work… :man_shrugging:

I could add the things with Paper UI and add the items manually, but I don’t want to :smile:

(atm no reply form @bouwkarolinemaarten, so no ID how he manages everything, maybe I just need to wait for him to reply, but waiting is not easy :wink:)

Grtz

Hi

My advice would be…

Load the velbusnetworkbridge.thing and check it’s online in PaperUi / configuration / things

Then use PaperUI Inbox to just add the modules you want.

{Reasoning being…

If Cédric adds functionality or changes how Things are profiled, it’s easier to delete the Thing in PaperUi and re-add it }

Once you’re happy that the Thing has been added, take a look at unique ID for a channel of the Thing and use the common part to populate the various components of an Items file.

Let me justify why I suggest this.

If you add your Thing using a text file, you will have to be precise with the syntax for each component of the Thing.

Not a major issue with a single channel blind module, but once you get to a glass panel, there are a lot of opportunities for silly mistakes.

But if PaperUI creates the thing, you can be assured that the JSON file will have correct structure / syntax.

Likewise, if you have to completely rebuild your setup, PaperUI will add the modules / Things with the same ID if you use the same VelbusNetworkBridge.thing :smile:

Bridge is online

I agree…

And this is the part that convinced me :+1:

I’ll do as you suggest.
Once again, many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile:
You should be up and running in no time now.

I just looked at how to create Thing text files…

I just want to hide in a dark room now, with soft music

I’m getting there :wink:
Little update about the light value:
I’m using

This is one of the VMBPIRO-things: (both are on build 1817)

And this is in the control-tab:

.items file:

Running on a freshly installed RPi 4b, bridge made in .things, thanks to you @MDAR, things discovered with paperUI, items manually added in the .items files

Have absolutely no idea what the problem is…

BTW in Velbuslink one is 20, the other is 23, so different values. I don’t care if it’s lux or not, an accurate reading would be great

Hi

It looks like you have mastered it all :smile:

That is very odd.

I’m using the same Velbus binding and seeing varying light levels.

Can you use the advanced mode of VelbusLink and restart each external PIR, to see if that causes them to give it different values?

Hi All,
Looks like you are already making great progress.
Sorry for delayed response, but even in the current covid-19 times, with home working parents & children that require “home teaching” is busier than ever. (incl cleaning and gardening)

Anyway, I’m only using .items & .rules files … all the rest is done with PaperUI & HabPanel.
Once the items are loaded in Openhab, you can basically “drag & drop” them using Visual Studio Code and start building logic between all your items (this is where the fun starts)

The best starting point (for me) was the BH Hobby OpenHab basics tuturial

Enjoy the fun,
Maarten

1 Like

I did as you suggested, for a minute or so both values showed 5120, but now they’re back to 512. While in Velbuslink one is 6, the other is 7

Very strange indeed… Maybe someone @ Velbus can help with this problem?

@bouwkarolinemaarten thanks for the info, I’m getting there :wink:

The interpretation of the packet in the Velbus binding is incorrect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@VEL524 Thanks, let’s hope @cedricb can fix it, or if someone can explain me how I can fix it locally?
But then, why does it work for @MDAR? :thinking:

(I updated my Openhab to 2.5.3-1, probably not important, but now you know :slight_smile:)

@cedricb is a god amongst men

https://github.com/cedricboon/openhab2-addons/releases/tag/2.5.4.202003281629

Hi @VEL524 , nice catch!
I’ve been over it a few times but never noticed this.
@CobleS can you give this version a try?

Regards,
Cédric

1 Like

Curiously, version 2.5.2 started showing the LX level as 512 on my test rig, but today’s version now shows a different value. (I must have only tested the PIRO on a different version)

I notice in VelbusLink 10.2.3 has an option for the VMBGP4PIR to broadcast a light level

Awesome! :+1: Nice work @cedricb

Atm the values in openhab are equal to the values in Velbuslink

Still curious why @MDAR’s values are in lx. And also higher than 1023…
The way I see it right now is like Velbuslink works, dark = 1023, light = 0

That’s from a previous version (possibly 2.4.???)

I obviously didn’t realise that they were wrong (which if the values were swapped, does make sense)

Little update on my 2 VMBPIROB:
The one with address 10 (terrace) seems to work ok, but the one with address OF (driveway) is acting weird.

(don’t mind the temperatures, the one with 0F is hanging in direct sunlight)
The one in the driveway gives illuminance value of 5, day and night, clear or dark sky.
Only when I use Velbuslink (connect-scan-change settings of the VMBPIRO), it changes the value.

I can work with the other one, so that’s ok, but I’m curious what the problem can be.

They are connected to different electrical boxes, but otherwise they’re exactly the same, same firmware, same time installed (a few days apart maybe) :man_shrugging:

Curious

How are they configured?

I can’t remember if “sending light levels when” is an option or not.

For example, Thermostats can

• Never send value to bus
  • Send value to bus when it changes
  • Send value every X seconds

I know the VMB7IN has this option for its counters, but I can’t be 100% sure that the PIRs do.

I’ll check tomorrow, when I’m back in the office.

2 Likes

:+1: Thanks, that was the problem. Was set to “never send value”
For some reason I must’ve thought I didn’t need that value in the initial setup.

1 Like