Velbus binding for OpenHAB

Isn’t it great that there are many different ways to achieve the same goals.

I’ve just added tags using the Karaf console so that Google Assistant can control / interact with Items in OpenHab2.

My wife rolls her eyes at anything voice operated, so I’m not going to make everything Voice Control only… Just yet :wink:

1 Like

you are right, like lower all shutters rule, i didnt do via voice command.
if an obstructing object , it will cost alot…

1 Like

Do you guys really have time for all this. I’ve been struggling for the past month to configure my installation but the more I add the more ideas come and the more time consuming is to make it smart. I would like something hey I see you have a new blind module do you want me to set up rules … yes… ok would you like a sunset wake up to be set … sound nice yes… What openhab needs is AI. Do you guys have something like that?

yes they are dynamic rules that can be setup, instead of static

Hi

Does that translate to…

“The more I discover, the more I realise I can achieve” :smile:

As for time to add all these ideas, yes, there are always more ideas than hours available.

Hi guys, I’m pretty new to the whole OpenHAB story.
I’m a professional Velbus installer and offcourse have Velbus installed at my home.
Last week I installed OpenHAB on a RPi 2. Most of my Velbus installation works through openHAB (with Android phone and on Windows PC) but I’m not able to use a VMB1BL, not on openHAB, and not even in PAPER UI. I had to manually add it too, as it was not found while searching for modules.
Is it possible that the VMB1BL is not included in the binding? Or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for the binding btw, I’m in love :wink:

edit:

my Velbus installation works through openHAB
not able to use a VMB1BL, not on openHAB

→ both “openHAB” should be “HABPanel” offcourse

1 Like

Hi @CobleS

Have you had any luck getting the VBM1BL to work?

I have one in stock here, I’ll hook it up to my demo rig and see what happens.

Cheers,

Stuart

@MDAR

Nope, still nothing…
I found this in the Velbus Binding description

The supported Velbus devices are: vmb1bls, vmb1dm, vmb1led, vmb1ry, vmb1ryno, vmb1rynos, vmb2ble, vmb2pbn, vmb4dc, vmb4ry, vmb4ryld, vmb4ryno, vmb6in, vmb6pbn, vmb7in, vmb8ir, vmb8pb, vmb8pbu, vmbdme, vmbdmi, vmbdmir, vmbgp1, vmbgp2, vmbgp4, vmbgp4pir, vmbgpo, vmbgpod, vmbpirc, vmbpirm, vmbpiro

As you can see, VMB1BL is not included. I think that’s why it doesn’t work for me.

Greetz!
Bernd

Hello @CobleS

I see…

So, should I assume that you’re using the binding from the public repository?

Please check this comment within this thread, so that you can use the latest development release.

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/velbus-binding-for-openhab/14992/117

I can confirm that it supports the VMB1BL.

The link in thread No. 118 is still valid.

You might have to remove some “things” and add them again, so that they can be re-profiled to give you access to the new channels.

Good luck,

Stuart

@MDAR

Oops, I can’t believe that actually slipped my mind.
I had read the entire post and immediately downloaded the newer release, but hadn’t found the time yet to install it.
I won’t be having time the first few days, but when I install it, I will surely post a reply to let you know if it works.

Thanks for your help
Bernd

1 Like

@MDAR

Just finished installing the bleeding edge version. I’m happy to tell you that my VMB1BL works! :smiley:

Thanks again for the help
Grtz !

That’s excellent news.

I’m very happy for you.

The master @cedricb has worked his magic again :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting your feedback, it’s always nice to know when things go well :smile:

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi all,
As a new Openhab user, but early adopter of Velbus, I’m very happy I made the right decision years ago. First of all, special thanks for the great works of @cedricb enabling Velbus on OpenHAB!

Stating the obvious, but this is a real “reinvention” for me, changing from an isolated home system to limitless possibilities (a bit overwhelming).
Thousands combinations/integrations are coming at the reach of Velbus users:
OpenHAB: 328 add-ons & 1547 things
IFTT Binding: ecosystem of over 600 world-class services
MQTT Binding: machine-to-machine (M2M)/"Internet of Things"

In order to make correct design decisions, I wonder what is on the further roadmap for Velbus binding. I’m currently running version released 2019 Feb 3rd on openhab2 (on raspberry 3/Openhabian). Can you please let me know if there are plans (or potential already night releases) supporting vmb4pd, vmb1ts, vmb1tc ? Possibly with estimated timers (weeks/months?)

All output modules (for me) working 100%: vmb1dm, vmb2bl, vmb4ry, vmb4ryno
Some input modules recognized as well: vmb8pd, vmb8pbu, vmbmeteo

Original target was to use Openhab as “input”, triggering relais, but it would be nice if we can link temperature state change or the push button input module to use Openhab as “output” trigger for 3th party integrations. Alternative I can sacrifice vmb8pd inputs or if anyone has another idea as workaround? (like capture state changes directly from the Velbus)

1 Like

This is totally possible.

Have you read this?

Specifically where Cédric talks about Channel triggers?

You can use all the states and triggers within openHAB2 rules

Dear MDAR,
100% right for thing types vmbgp1 , vmbgp2 , vmbgp4 , vmbgp4pir and vmbpiro have 8 trigger channels CH1CH8 and one temperature channel CH9 .
But I still have/use the “old” temperature sensors vmb1ts
I hope low effort to add this to the supported sensors (or potentially I can make openhab “think/fool” I have vmbgp1 instead of vmb1ts

Oh I see what you mean.

I’ve hung a VMB1TS onto my demo rig, so that it is accessible to Cédric.

When he has time, I’m sure he’ll take a look at it.

Shhhhhhh…

I think I can faintly hear the tapping of keyboard buttons and I think I made out a key stroke sequence that sounded a bit like… VMB1TS…

But I could be wrong…

We’ll have to see what the great master presents us with… Soon ???

Have you worked this out yet?

DSL rules are easy enough for this in openHAB2, or there is NodeRed which I’ve been playing with recently.

The results are great for whichever you’re most comfortable using.

Patiently waiting for the VMB1TS integration… and meanwhile learning openhab features, rules, virtual relays, react on label changes etc…the sky is the limit… only missing time. Luckily 1 may tomorrow…holiday for working folks.

1 Like

Hello All :smile:

I’m struggling to find where I posted the link to an openHAB2 Velbus binding update script, so to help everyone, I’ll put it here

http://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/openhab2/update-velbus-jar.sh

wget http://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/openhab2/update-velbus-jar.sh
sh update-velbus-jar.sh

Just run that script from your linux command line and it will pull down Cédrics latest binding from my website and put it into the openHAB addons’ folder.

Assuming it is
/usr/share/openhab2/addons

Don’t forget to add the V1 Serial Binding to get it working, easiest way it from PaperUI / Configuration / Addons / Bindings
You don’t need to do anything more than add it, there are no configuration files needed.

(I’ve lost count how many times I’ve forgotten that step)

1 Like