Velbus binding for OpenHAB

@MDAR : I believe, this shoud read #165

Or other good source : Releases · cedricboon/openhab-addons · GitHub

Thanks for pointing to the github page of Cedric. I see his latest is 2.5.2 as it is in my deployment. I should still make the replace and check it right ?

My mistake.

Yes, that should have been #165 or there abouts.
That refer to a script that will pull down the latest (tested) version of Cédric’s excellent binding and put it into the add-ons folder.

Or, you get just the binding from Cédric’s repository

I put in the addons folder the latest bindings from github. Uninstalled the older bindings. Now i can add a network bridge, it will find devices and i can add them as things, BUT when i link them and try to use them nothing happens. Like the things are not correctly initialized (UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR). Then i check them and some of them indeed are not initialized correctly, but also the ones stating online are NOT working when i try to switch a light off.
Anything specific i need to do with the old bindings to make sure they dont interfere with the new i put in the addons folder ?

UPDATE: did a cache clean and now all is working with just the network bridge. Only downside, the temperature readings from my glass panels are not showing up anymore…they were ok with the default bindings…

1 Like

They’ll come back, they just need to be polled or update their value to the Velbus Bus

Hello everyone

I’ve finally taken the time to get my head around how text based Item files work in openHAB2, because we’ve got a fun installation in the pipeline and I think it will save some time.

However, there is a small issue.

I think I have added the Alexa and Google assistant metadata correctly, but I don’t have any Alexa devices so can’t test it.

If anyone is feeling adventurous and generous, would you mind trying to create an Items file from the template in this ZIP file - http://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/openhab/openhab_items_template.zip
Then letting me / us know if it plays nicely with Alexa?

I’ve included 4 updated widgets and a couple of rules in the zip for completeness.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes,

Stuart

UPDATE
After a lot of messing around, we have Alexa being able to display different thermostat modes (of sorts)

We’ve had to map the Velbus Modes to something that Alexa understands, like this

// New Google Assistant and Alexa Metadata tagging (I'm still experimenting with)

Group 	BackBedroomGP2_Thermostat				"Back Bedroom Thermostat"													{ga="Thermostat" [roomHint="Back Bedroom"], alexa="Endpoint.Thermostat" }
	Number 	BackBedroomGP2_CurrentTemperature 		"Back Bedroom Current Temperature" 			(BackBedroomGP2_Thermostat)		{channel="velbus:vmbgp2:4832d74b:input#CH9", 								ga="thermostatTemperatureAmbient" ,		 alexa="TemperatureSensor.temperature" }
	Number 	BackBedroomGP2_CurrentTargetTemperature	"Back Bedroom Current Target Temperature"	(BackBedroomGP2_Thermostat)		{channel="velbus:vmbgp2:4832d74b:thermostat#CURRENTTEMPERATURESETPOINT", 	ga="thermostatTemperatureSetpoint",		 alexa="ThermostatController.targetSetpoint"}
	String 	BackBedroomGP2_ThermostatMode 			"Back Bedroom Thermostat mode"	  	 		(BackBedroomGP2_Thermostat)		{channel="velbus:vmbgp2:4832d74b:thermostat#MODE",							ga="thermostatMode",					 alexa="ModeController.mode" [off="SAFE", eco="NIGHT", heat="DAY"]}
	String 	BackBedroomGP2_ThermostatOperatingMode 	"Back Bedroom Thermostat operating mode"	(BackBedroomGP2_Thermostat)		{channel="velbus:vmbgp2:4832d74b:thermostat#OPERATINGMODE"}

These phrases will make Alexa do something

“Set the xxxx room thermostat to OFF”

“Set the xxxx room thermostat to ECO”

“Set the xxxx room thermostat to HEAT”

@join @bouwkarolinemaarten

I think Cédric has found and resolved a small issue with the network bridge failing to reconnect.

Would you both be kind enough to take the latest version of the binding for a spin and give us your feedback?

http://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/openhab/update-velbus-jar-dev.sh

Or you can always pick up the binding from Cédric’s GitHub releases page
https://github.com/cedricboon/openhab2-addons/releases

Dear,
I updated the binding, I hope i did it correct, it shows 2.5.3

It detect the modules in th einbox, but when I add them to the things, I get this error, any idea ?
I have this problem since I updated openhab (openhabian-config)

Hi :slight_smile:

Have you tried to restart the bundle or totally restarting openhab2?

I’ve seen that behaviour when changing binding versions, but a restart has always resolved it (famous last words)

Good luck

It gets even better…

With the excellent assistance of “Jeshab” on the openHAB forum, it’s now possible to ask Alexa to change the Operating Mode of the Velbus Thermostat AND request a preset for that Mode (What we refer to as Velbus Thermostat Modes.

The voice instructions do have to be PRECISE, but it works :slight_smile:
Please do let use know how you get on with Non EN languages.

More information can be found here - New Velbus binding - #34 by MDAR - Bindings - openHAB Community

The UI in Alexa only states “Heat” or “Cool”, but the presets do get called correctly.

Example voice instructions.

I’ve updated the Items template in the ZIP if you want to give them a try.

There is talk of Google Assistant supporting custom modes, but nothing I’ve tried so far seems to work…

Update March 26th 2020

The function I was trying to use in the openHAB2 Google Assistant Metadata isn’t operational yet, which explains why I couldn’t get it working.

I’ve updated the contents of the ZIP file with the correct syntax for the Google Metadata, so when it’s fully operational, you should be able to request “Off, Eco, On & Heat” (mapped to, Safe, Night, Day & Comfort)

@MDAR

Would you mind elaborating about this?
What do you do with the alarm times? (switch some lights?) How exactly is this configured in Velbuslink?

Atm I’d like it if I can turn some lights on at a given time, if that works, I’ll add some stuff.
And of course I want to change the wake-up time with Habpanel/basic UI, but first things first. :wink:

Hi

How’s life with you?

I’m running out of the house to help a friend with their house plumbing, so please excuse the short message.

In essence, you only need to configure a (virtual) button with the action you want to trigger, then add that button into the program steps of the panel.

After that, just ensure the alarm is Enabled and the correct program group is active.

This little video should get you going.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck.

Hi MDAR

I’m good thanks, you?

No problem :wink:

I managed to figure it out, got everything working.
I can even set times and (de-)activate with OpenHAB :smile:
This gives you so many possibilities, it’s amazing…

Greetz!

1 Like

Starting with OpenHab2 on PI4.
Can anybody help me finding download location for latest Velbus-binding jar (github?)

Thx

1 Like

Hi

As far as I know, nothing has changed.

So the instructions here will work perfectly.

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/velbus-binding-for-openhab/14992/165

The script will always pull the latest version from my website, which I update as and when @cedricb releases his amazing work.

Cédric’s binding version in this Zip file is 2.5.4.202003281629 which is newer that the one on his GitHub page, which is version 2.5.2.202002151409

On a similar theme, you might want to consider running VelServ to add a TCP server, so that you can make multiple connects to your Velbus network.

• openHAB2 would use the Velbus Network Bridge, using 127.0.0.1 and port 6000
  • VelbusLink would use the TCP/IP connection, using the IP or Hostname of your Linux machine and port 6000

The simple setup script for any Debian based Linux system can be found here

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/how-to-install-and-run-velserv-a-velbus-tcp-gateway/15422/21

Many thanks to @MDAR for sending download link.
I have now finally the velbus bridge online after struggling with:

• although you mentioned it explicit I still forgot to install the serial binding :frowning:
  • there seems to be a type in the extracted file: the extracted file is named update-vesbus-jar-sh instead of update-velbus-jar.sh (I overlooked that single character typo many times)
  • update-vesbus.sh must be executed with sudo priviliges

For test I added a VMB4RYLD thing. It shows up correctly (showing 5 switch channels) but Status is UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_CONFIGURATION_PENDING.
Did I forgot something?

My things config

Bridge velbus:bridge:1 [port="/dev/ttyACM0"] {
vmb4ryld 02
}

My items config

Switch VelbusSwitch {channel=“velbus:vmb4ryld:1:02:CH1”}

Sorry about the Typo, I’ll correct that right now.
Although I have used that script on loads of machines and it hasn’t failed, so I’ll look closely

(I can’t find the typo, did you cut and paste the command line, or type it in?)

(are you not going to use VelServ and a Velbus Network bridge, so that you can connect VelbusLink whenever you wish?)

I would strongly recommend NOT creating Things in Text files, but instead allow PaperUI to create them from the Inbox. (Over write the Bridge ID with something of your choosing, so that you can move everything to a new machine / setup easily)

Another reason being that it is far too easy to make a mistake with a Thing file and when you get to adding glass panels there are WAY too many channels, so you’ll be fighting syntax errors for hours and hours.

Then… should the binding get updated and add new functionality, it is very easy to delete the Thing in PaperUI and add it again. (you might only need to tweak the Item files to suit, which is super easy in NotePad++)

(if the Velbus device doesn’t appear in the Inbox, then there is something else wrong)

Then you can create all the Items you need in Text files and add the Alexa / Google metadata as you need.

I’ve even create a template Items file, along with some useful HabPanel widgets. (The thermostat widget was created by @tomvancutsem)

They are all in this ZIP - openhab_items_template.zip

There is a VelbusBridge.thing in the zip

It looks like this, just comment out what you don’t need

// Please note that I have not tested the USB port access bridges in this file.
//
// The Bridge (internal) name is also the same for each, so that they can be interachanged without having to edit other files (*.items and *.rules for example)

// Network bridge, for use with TCP servers like Velserv, Velbus_PB_Server or the upcoming Velbus TCP gateway. Running on the same machine
	Bridge velbus:networkbridge:VelbusNetworkBridge "Velbus Network Bridge - Loopback" @ "Loft" [ address="127.0.0.1", port=6000 ]

// Network bridge, for use with TCP servers like Velserv, Velbus_PB_Server or the upcoming Velbus TCP gateway, running on a different machine on your LAN
//	Bridge velbus:networkbridge:VelbusNetworkBridge "Velbus Network Bridge - at 192.168.0.100" @ "Control" [ address="192.168.0.100", port=6000 ]

// USB bridge for use on Linux with symlink ttyACM0
//	Bridge velbus:bridge:VelbusBridge "Velbus USB / RS232 Bridge - ttyACM0" @ "Control" [ port="/dev/ttyACM0" ]

// USB bridge for use with Windows, using Com5
//	Bridge velbus:bridge:VelbusBridge "Velbus USB / RS232 Bridge - Com5" @ "Control" [ port="com5" ]

Hi…this is most likely on the grounds that your are not running the most recent preview rendition of openHAB. The coupling is now utilizing functionalities that are not yet present in the current openHAB stable form. To utilize the coupling now, you should change your openHAB form to the most recent dev depiction

Hi guys

I’ve recently bought a VMBVP01, which is the doorbird video phone.
@cedricb I don’t think that’s supported yet ? I had a look at the Github page but didn’t see it listed there.
If I can help with something, give me a yell.

Stay safe everybody!
Happy holidays

1 Like

Hi

I’ve had a quick look at the channels that VelbuslInk shows for the VMBVP01 and it looks like nothing more than the basic profile of a VMB8PBU (as in they follow the most basic Velbus protocol), you can manually add a VMB8PBU into openHAB and label it as a VMBVP01 and use the base address of the DoorBird.

Until such time as Cédric has enough time to add the profile to his binding.

Good luck,

Stuart