Bridging Velbus with TCP through snap package

Oh no no no

I think you’re confusing me with someone with some coding skills.

I see my pull was committed - any idea on when the snap package will be updated? the channel still shows the 1.4.1 only… (dated 2021-08-20 / 2021-08-20)

or is there another way to test this?

Correct, the snap package was not yet built due to a missing git tag, it is now available.

2 Likes

tested it … but still no receiving of commands through serial

happy to debug jointly if required

I think you may need to check snap logs velbus-tcp to see if any errors are listed there. Otherwise it may be easier to just use the python-velbustcp library to do further tests. Since velbus-tcp-snap is just a wrapper around the python code to build the library as a Ubuntu snap.

I rebooted my machine - and now Velbus won’t start – this probably happened after an update of the operating system -

logs indicate:
velbus-tcp.velbus-tcp[3502]: cannot perform operation: mount --bind /snap/core18/current/etc/nsswitch.conf /tmp/snap.rootfs_dVmC9V/etc/nsswitch.conf: Permission denied

Can you post this on the GitHub project issues page please.

I had a situation where I updated the Kernel in Debian Buster and the whole Snap environment failed.

There’s was absolutely nothing I could do to resolve it.

The only solution was to flash Debian Bullseye to the machine and start again.

(All back up and running within 30 minutes)

For the time being, you can use @jeroends VelServ application
This 100% works

(More information on this — How-To : Install and Run VelServ - a Velbus TCP Gateway - #21 by MDAR )

Just remove the Snap environment and install VelServ

apt remove snapd

wget http://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/velbus/velbus-tcp.sh to download a simple setup script

Run it using

sudo sh velbus-tcp.sh

Port 6000 will then be your Velbus connection.

1 Like

This doesn’t quite look like an issue with the software we provide through the snap system. I’d suggest getting help through the snapcraft forums.

1 Like