Dimmer for LED bulbs

Is there anything planned that doesn’t require a slave dimmer? Or it’s better to use a slave dimmers? I’ll have very low loads, single watts per circuit. I’m at the stage of designing the installation and making holes in the walls, so almost all options are possible.

P.S. From what I have heard and what I see on the product list there will be a new 8 channel dimmer with 0-10V output, so slave dimmers might be needed. Is there anything smaller than DIN module? I have some walls that are 60mm thick, so proper installation of a DIN box is not an option. Worst case I’ll be moving some conduit, but I’d rather not do it :smiley:

Great question.

The Velbus way is 10v control into whatever dimmer you select.

(But there is a 4 channel DIN module on the way for 4 x ELV PWM dimming, as a complete Velbus device, 4 din)

The preferred / recommended mains dimming solution from Velbus is a VMB8DC 10v (4 din) controller into Finder 15.11 slave dimmers. (1 din each)

However…

There’s nothing stopping you using larger capacity MODE lighting dimmers, with as many VMB8DC as needed.

Or a light fitting that supports 10v control.

The issue you have is the quantity required Vs cost per channel.

Going full 12V on your lighting might work, considering your looking at solar too.

I have been asking for a 16 channel Velbus to DMX module for >5 years… I’m told… One day, it’ll arrive… One day.

This would allow you to use any number of DMX controllable downlights.

There is the VMBDALI-2 option, but you’ll have to check your brain cells are all firing perfectly if you consider that option.

I’ve tested a few DALI lamps and I’m not convinced enough by them to put my professional reputation on the line. (I can’t be 100% sure that they’ll power up and work, as we expect Velbus to do)

This probably isn’t the news you want, but I hope it’ll help.

1 Like

Some DIN mounted slave dimmers are quite small. I use Niko 330-00700. Work perfectly.

2 Likes

My experience suggests to go with DALI over 0-10V for dimming control. Power supplies that support DALI seem to be readily available and modernish light fixtures that have integrated supplies more often than not have a DALI SKU and nothing for 0-10V. In my case 0/1-10V significantly limited the options for the fixtures. Then there are power supplies that refuse to completely shut down even at 0V, despite the fact that they are 1-10V, and some others make the PWM nature of the VMB*DC themselves pretty apparent.

(Costs are probably going to be quite similar too, unless you don’t have very many things you want dimmable. But this yet another thing to consider – once the ceiling is in place you won’t be able to easily pull necessary cabling to add dimming in the future, so might as well have it everywhere in the first place…)

(Caveat: I haven’t actually had an opportunity to put DALI to practice, but 0-10V ain’t as trouble free as it might seem at the first glance either.)

Just a small detail.

The output of the VMB*DC modules is pure DC.

The PWM style control only happens with the Dimmer modules.

90Hz for the original Velbus dimmer, which is noticeable to the human mind, if not the eye.

And changed to 200Hz with the newer dimmer modules.

Or are you referring to the number of steps in the dim curve of the VMB*DC.
I haven’t had a chance to test the new VMB8DC yet.
Likewise, the all inclusive LED dimming module.

The output of the VMB*DC modules is pure DC.

The PWM style control only happens with the Dimmer modules.

Fair enough, this particular problem would most likely be an issue for DALI as well.

90Hz for the original Velbus dimmer, which is noticeable to the human mind, if not the eye.

And changed to 200Hz with the newer dimmer modules.

All I can say is that my macbook camera definitely has no problem picking up the PWM nature of these things, but also I don’t really have a good way to verify the exact modulation frequency on hand.

That said, 200Hz is still pretty low all things considered. The modulation frequencies have to go quite a bit higher (1000+ Hz) for a person sensitive to PWM flicker to not end up with a nasty headache (at least when staring at OLED screens). Somewhat unfortunate that this condition is sufficiently rare for barely anybody to care, otherwise we wouldn’t see manufacturers saving a cent off their BOM at the expense of their unsuspecting user’s health and wellbeing :slight_smile:

I should definitely look into and test out some alternatives before it comes back to bite me in the future.

1 Like