Easy way to do one thing, then another?

without dependence on a server, just native velbus.

I already have a very useful ALL OFF button,
but I would like a single button press to be able to do ALL OFF, and THEN switch ON just one or two dimmers or relays.
If I set these as actions I have no control over order executed. Presumably all happen at once because the things switched are looking for the button signal?
I would like to be able to easily guarantee that one action will be completed before another.

Thanks

1 Like

If you have a spare virtual relay, you can start a timer on it

Then a downstream action that does something ā€œOn releaseā€

https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/velbus/00_general/guide_velbus_actions_descriptions_en.html#act_0406

1 Like

Oh! Thanks. I do still have three virtual relays spare in some VMBRLY4NO.
I had not spotted the ā€œon releaseā€ timer thing before.
And NOW I see the point of those diagrams.
I shall re-read all the timer stuff with this fresh perspectiveā€¦ looks like there are some strange things in there.
Is there a good ā€œapplication notesā€ doc for doing fancy things with things like timers and virtual relays? I do have a Pi in the loft but I mostly just use it as a wifi gateway for the velbusā€¦ am trying to resist relying on HA software.

1 Like

I believe there are some downloads available from VELBUS with such diagrams. Maybe VEL345 can help point where those are? I downladed them many years ago, but canā€™t find them right away on the velbus siteā€¦

There is nothing ā€œstrangeā€ once you understand how Velbus works. The pushbutton modules do nothing but issue commands to relays and such, it is the relay modules that do all other actions. The relay modules receive commands from the input devices and the last input received is acted upon. So whatever you asked a relay to do at some point, if another input device asks for something else, the previous input command is scrapped and the last one is executed.

That is where the virtual relays come in handy. You send two commands from the input device, one for the first action and one for a virtual relay. That gives time for the first action to complete and not be overriden by the second action. The virtual relay can issue the second action when the timer completes. That is how you can chain commands without having to rely on ā€œHAā€ as you call it. It can be done this way and this is what I do, but the number of virtual relays is limited.

The interesting thing to know is that single relay modules have the same firmware frame as the quadruple ones. Therefore, single relay modules, even the tiny ones, have four virtual relays.

1 Like