OpenHab 3.4 to latest OpenHab on Odroid C4

Hi all

I hope someone can help.

I’ve got Velbus to work successfully via VelbusLink software directly connected and controlled via USB cable to the USB module.

Now I’m taking the leap to the next phase to use OpenHab, so I can control via Alexa too and on tablet.

I’ve got Odroid C4 with Openhab 3.4.0 installed (Linux/6.0.13-meson64 (aarch64) - DietPi), currently Java 11.0.16 with Velserv binding, NodeRed installed on it and I’ve keen to ensure I’ve on the latest versions before I get started and use OpenHab 4 before I start to add things to it.

What are the steps in doing this as I can access via Putty and WinSCP for FTP.

Many thanks in advance

I think I know what you’ve got, but I’m not sure what help you’re asking for.

If … openHAB V3.4 is working well for you, do you need V4 ?

Or are you asking for help getting Velbus working in openHAB, to enable Alexa support?

Are you using Text file configuration for the Items?

Or the Main UI method?

Hi MDAR,

I’m seeing if its worth upgrading to V4 before I start using OpenHab and add things to it from the start?
If it gives any benefits from having the new features?

Not using text file configuration for items but Main UI method but if text based is easier - happy to explore.

Not sure if there is a way to import existing settings from the VelbusLink software I setup using the USB connection where I got modules to work as I want them.
So want OpenHab to work with Alexa so I can control things easily.

Hi

If you haven’t started with openHAB, then yeah, go for V4.

You’ll need the latest version of DietPi, so you can install Java 17.

After that, it’s quite easy.

I’d suggest using Velbus-tcp as the Velbus gateway, not because it’s any better than VelServ, simply because it offers a TLS security layer.

I created a simple installation script on this forum
https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/bridging-velbus-with-tcp-through-snap-package/15814/20

As for setting up openHAB with Velbus, I add the Things via the mainUI, but personally, I think bulk adding Items is much easier in a text file, even if you want to add Sematic aspects.

Have you seen the openHAB section in the download page of the MDAR website?

I’m busy this weekend, but happy to help you next week.

Good luck,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for your guidance.

I’ve managed to update to v4 install Java 17.
I done the Velbus-TCP as per instructions, but not sure if its being used or not - is there a way to test it to see its being used?

I’ve tried adding Thing via MainUI, but will try the text file approach too.
I wanted to ask, is there a way to sync already actions in VelbusLink software to be used in OpenHab so we not having to set all actions again? or is best to just OpenHab to use as an interface to turn things on and off and see status of temperatures.

e.g. I like to operate the heating based on temperature and timing which I like to control ideally via OpenHab.

Many thanks in advance

Mans

you cannot mix the actions in OpenHab and Velbus native… you’d have to make a choice on what goes native versus what goes in OpenHab on scripts…

in my case I have OpenHab and Home Assistant and Velbus native stuff… for example, the AC main controls are in Velbus - but the advanced stuff (switch on extra boost when outside temperature is above xyz during the night, while I’m at home) is in OpenHab… any configuration relating to TV’s and wireless systems is in Home Assistant (as I’m migrating to that one)