Openhab2 and vmbgpo

Does anywone know if there is a (simple) way to make a button just to select one of the 32 channels on the VMBGPO?
Recently i installed Openhab2 to control my velbus system.
I’ve made all the binding and with the “things” i made several links for the relays and dimmers.
In the sitemap i’ve made some sliders and buttons which appear in the basic UI to switch and dimm several lights and sockets in the house but now i want to make a few knobs or buttons just to push some presets (channels) on my 6 VMBGPO glass panels. I discovered that i can make rules if one of the 32 buttons on the VMBGPO is pushed,(if-then…) but thats not what i want it the other way around.
So again, is there a (simple) way to make a button just to select one of the 32 channels on the VMBPGO? i can’t figure that out… if this is possible it will be even more perfect to also see the state of the pushed channel or even the text for that button on het glasspanel?

Hi

I’m sorry to say that the buttons on any of the Velbus input devices can’t be simulated from openHAB2.

The button channels within the Velbus Things are only there so that button events can be used in openHAB2 to trigger / operate other Items (for example from other brand devices). Just as you have done already.

The button states in rules are

RELEASED
PRESSED
LONG_PRESSED

You might like to look at setting up Scenes within openHAB2 that mirror what you have programmed in VelbusLink.

As for reading the assigned text from the Oled display, that’s not possible because the text is stored as a bitmap within the panel.

Other than that, good luck with your continued exploration into openHAB2 and Velbus.

If you are willing to install some extra software and scripts, take a look at my code:

It is a 2-way bridge between openHAB en Velbus.
It keeps openHAB updated with all Velbus changes AND you can simulate a button push from openHAB.

Stef

1 Like

Hey Stef,
Bedankt voor je antwoord. Het lijkt er op dat jouw software precies is wat ik zoek. Ik heb alleen geen idee hoe ik dat ik OpenHab2 zou moeten laden / installeren, wat dat betreft ben ik echt een leek. Zou je me kunnen vertellen welke files etc ik van jouw Github zou moeten downloaden etc en wat ik ermee zou moeten doen om het in Openhab werkend te krijgen?

Koert

Ik kan je wel helpen, maar je kan best nog even wachten.
Ik heb mijn scripts serieus aangepast en moet dat nog pushen naar GitHub.

Je kan alvast eens proberen om openHAB aan de praat te krijgen.
Heb je ergens een (andere) computer met Linux op? Dat is het gemakkelijkste.
Zo niet, dan moet je eventueel een Raspberry PI of zo aanschaffen om het uit te proberen.

Stef

Hey Stef,
Kun je voor openHab dan niet ook meteen een addon-Binding maken,zodat men die gewoon kan installeren?
Ik heb OpenHab om uit te proberen eerst nu draaien op n gewone W10 pc en dat werkt.Ik kan in de Paperui en in de app alles al gewoon bedienen.Ik heb ook nog ergens een W10 werkstation liggen die ik eigenlijk wil plaatsen in de meterkast met een eigen vmb1usb.Ofwel een apart Velbusservertje maken waar Openhab op draait.

Openhab is geschreven in java en ik heb 1-maal geprobeerd om er aan te beginnen, maar dat was me veeeeel te ingewikkeld. Ik kreeg de IDE niet aan de praat, vond geen deftige voorbeeld en java is voor mij ook een onbekende taal.

Ondertussen is er wel een velbus binding, maar ik heb die zelf nog niet gebruikt. En van wat ik gehoord heb van iemand die het geprobeerd heeft, werken mijn scripts veeeeeel beter.
En volgende de documentatie werkt die binding alleen via seriële interface en ik ga via TCPIP naar een PI die dan weer aan de bus hangt.

Mijn scripts kunnen ook wel onder windows draaien hoor.
Alleen is windows niet gemaakt voor zoiets, geloof me, ik werk in de branche…

Stef

The current public version of Cédric’s openHAB2 binding has limited functionality and only connects via USB.

The bleeding edge version is amazing, with a TCP bridge option.

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/velbus-binding-for-openhab/14992/118

If I hadn’t got Cédric’s binding up and running so quickly, I would probably have tried your solution.

I’m tempted to run a separate machine just to try your scripts.

Die openhab van stef draait echt supervlotjes op een RPI3 en dat ding hoor je niet en trekt geen stroom… die velserver pusht echt alles richten openhab, ding werkt fantstisch… enkel feedback van de relays loopt soms beetje spaak, maar ligt eerder aan mij dan aan hem… ik probeer ook al even google home eraan te hangen maar dat lukt tot nu toe nog niet…