Sacrificial relays - 230V of grid or 15V of velbus power?

The question is really of the type how long is the piece of string, but maybe there are some benefits/drawback that I don’t see yet. I don’t see any info about sacrificial relays on the forum - what’s the “best” option? Should I get something driven by 230V and use velbus relay with voltage output? Or voltage free and connect 230VAC? Or 15V driven relay, velbus voltage free relay and drive it from velbus power? Is it recommended to use sacrificial relays even for mall loads like non-dimmable bulbs?

I’ll probably buy quite a few of the relays in one go, so I want to get it right…

What do you mean by Sacrificial?

Are you thinking that the physical relays inside modules like VMB4RYLD-20 & VMB4RYNO-20 are low current and likely to fail, therefore an external “quick to replace and affordable” contactor is a good fail safe?

If so…

You’ll be delighted to hear that EVERY relay in EVERY Velbus module is an industrial grade unit.

Capable of coping with an 80A inrush and a 16Amp 230Vac load!!

(10Amp for DC)

The VMB4RYLD variants have a PCB limit of 16Amp per module, whereas the VMB4RYNO & VMB1RYNO units offer 16 amp per relay contact.

(Not the old VMB1RYNOS, they can’t cope with >3amp)

That said

If you are thinking of switching large loads, then yes, a €10 contactor per load would be an excellent decision, assuming you’re happy with the loud relay noise.

1 Like

Thank you! The biggest load I’ll need to control will be probably 1500 W (water heater), so I don’t need anything other than velbus relays. Perfect!

1 Like

And that sir, is exactly why people Love Velbus :smile:

1 Like