Somfy Sonesse 40WT motor (NOT RTS) & "TubeMotors"

re - https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/somfy-gordijnmotorsturing/14456/
and other posts

Hello everyone

I’ve been asked twice today about how to connect a Somfy Sonesse 40 WT motor to a Velbus VMB2BLE, so I thought I should post something for everyone to find.

Please note, keep it simple.
Use the most basic motors, that come shipped with a rocker switch. (Or at least are designed to work with a rocker switch)
Don’t let the supplier tell you that the RTS / radio version motors are designed for home automation.
They are, but they aren’t. :person_shrugging:
They requires their radio base station / Gateway and still doesn’t connect easily to Velbus (or any other system for that matter)

Also note that the 12V or 24V DC versions can be connected to Velbus, but they need a little more between them and the Velbus module.
See second post below

First you need to know what the cable cores from the Somfy Sonesse 40WT do.

• Blue - Neutral power

• Brown - Switched live for travel in one direction

• Black - Switched live for travel in the other direction

FYI

NEVER connect LIVE to both Brown and Black at the same time.

(“TubeMotor” units have different colour codes, but are well documented on their website, or download a zip file with all the motor types here - https://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/forum_assets/TubeMotors.zip )

Identify the Neutral connection of the VMB2BLE blind motor controller and link it to the BLUE core from the Somfy motor.

After that, it is a simple matter of connecting the UP connection from the VMB2BLE to the UP core of the Somfy motor
and the DOWN connection to the DOWN core of the Somfy.

No harm done if they are the wrong way, just swap them.

When you have physical control of the blind in Velbus, you can do the following for configuration within VelbusLink

• Deploy the blind to its maximum.

• Wait for the VMB2BLE to time out.

• TIME how long the blind takes to retract.

• Add ± 10% to that time and configure the VMB2BLE channel with that time.

You will then have an approximate position control for the blind from Velbus

1 Like

12V or 24V DC motors require a little more effort, in order to create an inverted DC control for the motor.

DC in one polarity will cause the motor to travel in one direction, swapping the DC polarity will cause travel in the other direction.

This simple diagram shows the use of two dumb relays and a VMB1BLS to create a DC inverter system, this will also act as an electrical brake on the motor, be aware of this.

At rest, the motor is held in place.

It is possible to use a VMB2BLE to do this, for which I tend to use din rail mounted miniature changeover relays (costing about €8 each)

1 Like

FYI

I’ve been sent a sample motor to test, which turns out to be from “TubeMotors

https://www.tube-motors.com/worldwide/Products/1

I’ve looked at the technical spec and installation guides for the following motor models and can confirm they will work with the VMB2BLE or VMB1BLS, using one of the two above methods.

• NB25 RV - 12Vdc
  • NM1 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NM2 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NO60 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NOM45 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NOM60 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NP35 - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NP35 - 12Vdc
  • NP35 S - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NP35 RS (Obstacle detections) - 240Vac 50Hz
  • NP45 12Vdc
  • NP45 RS - 230Vac 50Hz

Zip file with leaflets and datasheets for all of the above motors can be found here
https://www.mdar.co.uk/dl/forum_assets/TubeMotors.zip

1 Like

I concur - been using it like this since … eeuh very long time :slight_smile:

for RAEX TP-35-5/26EHU

• White = LIVE
  • Blue = Neutral
  • Black = DOWN = LIVE SWITCHED
  • Brown = UP = LIVE SWITCHED

this setup allows the motor to run with the remote control & Velbus integration

for Tamakatsu its almost the same (but not quite)
blue = neutral
black = down line (live switched)
white/gray = up line (live switched)
brown = live

again, for takamatsu it allows usage of the original remote control + velbus + hand control

1 Like

I’m just curious

Does this not make the Velbus position “out of sync” ?

1 Like

yes - the position itself goes haywire - but that is a generic problem I’ve also found with the more smarter motors anyway. You only need to click twice sometimes (if Velbus thinks the blind is completely up, but its down) to reset the sequence… even if Velbus applies “down” power too long - the motor itself has the intelligence to shutdown and ignore the Velbus commands

1 Like

Are there any motors with position feedback/pulse output? A simple rotary encoder would solve the problem and would allow exact positioning of the blinds, not only approximate based on time.

There are plenty.

But

All RS485 controlled, so not directly compatible with Velbus

Hence the above exercise.

The big question is

“Do you need Pin point accuracy?”

Definitely I don’t but if the manual switches are confusing the system then a solution would be nice.

Oh right.

That’s just @RCZ confusing everyone… again :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, the trick is to keep the Velbus module as the master, and push all switch activity to that first.

I’ve just had the very conversation with these people https://hitechrooflights.co.uk/

Just in time for an exhibition next week in Birmingham

1 Like

I wrote to Somfy asking if they have anything with position feedback or info “turning CCW / turning CW” over dry contact.

Don’t hold your breath…

I think I can predict their reply or lack of.

The only option for stuff like that is the top end RS485 motors.