Velbus binding for OpenHAB

Hi

As far as I know, nothing has changed.

So the instructions here will work perfectly.

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/velbus-binding-for-openhab/14992/165

The script will always pull the latest version from my website, which I update as and when @cedricb releases his amazing work.

Cédric’s binding version in this Zip file is 2.5.4.202003281629 which is newer that the one on his GitHub page, which is version 2.5.2.202002151409

On a similar theme, you might want to consider running VelServ to add a TCP server, so that you can make multiple connects to your Velbus network.

• openHAB2 would use the Velbus Network Bridge, using 127.0.0.1 and port 6000
  • VelbusLink would use the TCP/IP connection, using the IP or Hostname of your Linux machine and port 6000

The simple setup script for any Debian based Linux system can be found here

https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/how-to-install-and-run-velserv-a-velbus-tcp-gateway/15422/21

Many thanks to @MDAR for sending download link.
I have now finally the velbus bridge online after struggling with:

• although you mentioned it explicit I still forgot to install the serial binding :frowning:
  • there seems to be a type in the extracted file: the extracted file is named update-vesbus-jar-sh instead of update-velbus-jar.sh (I overlooked that single character typo many times)
  • update-vesbus.sh must be executed with sudo priviliges

For test I added a VMB4RYLD thing. It shows up correctly (showing 5 switch channels) but Status is UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_CONFIGURATION_PENDING.
Did I forgot something?

My things config

Bridge velbus:bridge:1 [port="/dev/ttyACM0"] {
vmb4ryld 02
}

My items config

Switch VelbusSwitch {channel=“velbus:vmb4ryld:1:02:CH1”}

Sorry about the Typo, I’ll correct that right now.
Although I have used that script on loads of machines and it hasn’t failed, so I’ll look closely

(I can’t find the typo, did you cut and paste the command line, or type it in?)

(are you not going to use VelServ and a Velbus Network bridge, so that you can connect VelbusLink whenever you wish?)

I would strongly recommend NOT creating Things in Text files, but instead allow PaperUI to create them from the Inbox. (Over write the Bridge ID with something of your choosing, so that you can move everything to a new machine / setup easily)

Another reason being that it is far too easy to make a mistake with a Thing file and when you get to adding glass panels there are WAY too many channels, so you’ll be fighting syntax errors for hours and hours.

Then… should the binding get updated and add new functionality, it is very easy to delete the Thing in PaperUI and add it again. (you might only need to tweak the Item files to suit, which is super easy in NotePad++)

(if the Velbus device doesn’t appear in the Inbox, then there is something else wrong)

Then you can create all the Items you need in Text files and add the Alexa / Google metadata as you need.

I’ve even create a template Items file, along with some useful HabPanel widgets. (The thermostat widget was created by @tomvancutsem)

They are all in this ZIP - openhab_items_template.zip

There is a VelbusBridge.thing in the zip

It looks like this, just comment out what you don’t need

// Please note that I have not tested the USB port access bridges in this file.
//
// The Bridge (internal) name is also the same for each, so that they can be interachanged without having to edit other files (*.items and *.rules for example)

// Network bridge, for use with TCP servers like Velserv, Velbus_PB_Server or the upcoming Velbus TCP gateway. Running on the same machine
	Bridge velbus:networkbridge:VelbusNetworkBridge "Velbus Network Bridge - Loopback" @ "Loft" [ address="127.0.0.1", port=6000 ]

// Network bridge, for use with TCP servers like Velserv, Velbus_PB_Server or the upcoming Velbus TCP gateway, running on a different machine on your LAN
//	Bridge velbus:networkbridge:VelbusNetworkBridge "Velbus Network Bridge - at 192.168.0.100" @ "Control" [ address="192.168.0.100", port=6000 ]

// USB bridge for use on Linux with symlink ttyACM0
//	Bridge velbus:bridge:VelbusBridge "Velbus USB / RS232 Bridge - ttyACM0" @ "Control" [ port="/dev/ttyACM0" ]

// USB bridge for use with Windows, using Com5
//	Bridge velbus:bridge:VelbusBridge "Velbus USB / RS232 Bridge - Com5" @ "Control" [ port="com5" ]

Hi…this is most likely on the grounds that your are not running the most recent preview rendition of openHAB. The coupling is now utilizing functionalities that are not yet present in the current openHAB stable form. To utilize the coupling now, you should change your openHAB form to the most recent dev depiction

Hi guys

I’ve recently bought a VMBVP01, which is the doorbird video phone.
@cedricb I don’t think that’s supported yet ? I had a look at the Github page but didn’t see it listed there.
If I can help with something, give me a yell.

Stay safe everybody!
Happy holidays

1 Like

Hi

I’ve had a quick look at the channels that VelbuslInk shows for the VMBVP01 and it looks like nothing more than the basic profile of a VMB8PBU (as in they follow the most basic Velbus protocol), you can manually add a VMB8PBU into openHAB and label it as a VMBVP01 and use the base address of the DoorBird.

Until such time as Cédric has enough time to add the profile to his binding.

Good luck,

Stuart

Thanks for your reply. This works as a charm!
Awesome :+1: :partying_face:
And I thought I’ve learned enough for this year :smile:
I do hope @cedricb will add it some day, as I do everything with text-files and right now I have 1 item added through Paper UI and my autistic side can’t handle that :man_shrugging: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi All,

The playing continues, this time with music control …
Just sharing some ideas to upgrade vmb8pbu (of any other smart buttons like vmb4pd thx MDAR :wink: )
Used the “hidden” second feature for this purpose “LONG_PRESSED” and “RELEASED”

Initial tests works like a sharm, finally controlling my MPD (music player daemon) with velbus buttons instead of searching for my phone…

Thanks all for the support and best wishes for 2021

rule “Channel-based Triggers - SALON/SLAAPKAMER - INPUTBUTTON 3 - VolumeUp”
when
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:ccebcf87:input#CH2” triggered LONG_PRESSED or // salon
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:20635cae:input#CH2” triggered LONG_PRESSED // slaapkamer
then
MusicPlayerDaemonVolumeChanging.sendCommand(ON)
Thread::sleep(100)
while (MusicPlayerDaemonVolumeChanging.state == ON)
{
var Number NewVolumeMPD = (MusicPlayerDaemonVolume.state as Number).intValue
NewVolumeMPD = NewVolumeMPD + 1
MusicPlayerDaemonVolume.sendCommand(NewVolumeMPD)
Thread::sleep(500)
}
end

rule “Channel-based Triggers - SALON/SLAAPKAMER - INPUTBUTTON 4 - VolumeDown”
when
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:ccebcf87:input#CH4” triggered LONG_PRESSED or // salon
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:20635cae:input#CH4” triggered LONG_PRESSED // slaapkamer
then
MusicPlayerDaemonVolumeChanging.sendCommand(ON)
Thread::sleep(100)
while (MusicPlayerDaemonVolumeChanging.state == ON)
{
var Number NewVolumeMPD = (MusicPlayerDaemonVolume.state as Number).intValue
NewVolumeMPD = NewVolumeMPD - 1
MusicPlayerDaemonVolume.sendCommand(NewVolumeMPD)
Thread::sleep(500)
}
end

rule “Channel-based Triggers - SALON/OUDERS - INPUTBUTTON x - VolumeUp STOP”
when
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:ccebcf87:input#CH2” triggered RELEASED or // Salon VolumeUp
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:ccebcf87:input#CH4” triggered RELEASED or // Salon VolumeDown
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:20635cae:input#CH2” triggered RELEASED or // Ouders VolumeUp
Channel “velbus:vmb8pbu:20635cae:input#CH4” triggered RELEASED // Ouders VolumeDown
then
MusicPlayerDaemonVolumeChanging.sendCommand(OFF)
end

1 Like

Hi guys

Which version of OpenHAB are you using?
I’m on 2.5.3 and was wondering if I should update to 2.5.12 or even 3.0?

I’m asking this because my brother is working on a Yamaha Musiccast binding, which he now compiled to work on openhab version 3.0 and 2.5.12.
His previous versions were for 2.5.9 and worked perfect on my 2.5.3, but since he’s working on the 2.5.12 it doesn’t work for me anymore.

Any thoughts?

Last week I upgraded to 2.5.11 because the VelBus bind changed significantly recently. I was on something like 2.5.5.

Was very hesitating to upgrade. The last time I did upgrade, my openhab was killed and I had to re-installed / re-configure evertying. This time it worked like a charm.

Somewhere at 2.5.10 (or 2.5.9) major changes were made to OpenHab internals in order to prepare for 3.0. So your binding not working anymore seems in line with that statement. (btw: I am just repeating what I learned elsewhere).

Greetings Matthijs

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I’m still hesitating, as there is a possibility I’ll have to re-install en reconfigure the whole thing, like you said. I once had a broken openhab, and it’s not much fun.
Although I do have backups, and everything is text-based so fixing it should be “not that much work”, but still…
Anyway, when I’m mentally ready, I’ll go for it :slight_smile:

Just updated to 2.5.12
Atm everything seems to be working fine.
I guess I was worried for nothing :man_shrugging:

Tomorrow I’ll give the Yamaha Musiccast binding an update
And also the recycle binding (a binding that connects with the Recycle! (link) website)
If anyone’s interested, I’ll be happy to guide you to the github pages of both Yamaha Musiccast and Recycle bindings.

Grtz!

Yes please, a link or more would be fine (for the Recycle binding for me).
Hope it is this one:

Thank you!

Hi,
Yes, that is the link. Recently they changed the tokens and a part of the website.
This has been changed in the binding.
Please download the binding from the target folder which states 2021.
Before going completely off-topic, this can be discussed on the OpenHAB forum.

On-topic: will have a look at the VELBUS binding if I understand something of it :sunglasses:

1 Like

@cedricb @MDAR
I was playing around with the new smart meter binding (grrr don’t mention the solarpanels) and I made the power display as memo on a vmbelo.
Now I was thinking to make it a bit more fancy and change the color of the feedback leds ie. green when I’ve putting power on the net or red when I draw some power in. I’ve seen the control channel for the feedback leds but can this be used to control the colors?

1 Like

Hi

This isn’t possible (yet) within Cédric’s openHAB binding, but…

If you can construct the right packet, you should be able to achieve it with @Gertst Node-RED solution.

Hi Jeroen,

This is possible like MDAR stated with Node Red.

There is a topic where I wrote this:
https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/node-red-integration/15632/87?u=ggaljoen

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give a try!

@cedricb @MDAR

Hi guys,

I’ve added the the possibility to simulate the PRESSED and LONG PRESSED message of an input.
It’s working well on my system since 2 weeks.

If you want to try : Release Button simulation · Rosen01/openhab-addons (github.com)

2 Likes

I’ve added the button simulation on the VMB1RYS module.

Feel free to test and to give me feedback : Releases · Rosen01/openhab-addons (github.com)

1 Like