Velbus binding for OpenHAB

what would be the code to set the feedback LED’s on the VMBELO directly from a script - can we send a color code / name ?

Setting the ambient colours can be done easily with NodeRed.

(I’ll dig out the code later)

Colour changing the feedback LEDs isn’t possible with openHAB… Yet

Try importing this into a NodeRed flow, to try colour changing the ambient options.

BUT… do consider how many times you will be writing to the memory map, as @Ggaljoen points out in this post https://forumtest.velbus.eu/t/memo-on-vmbelo-multi-line-support/16995/4

Change the suffix of the attached file back to .json

2022 Ambient colour changing Edgelit flows.json.change_suffix.csv (32.9 KB)

Hi guys

I’m still on the “bleeding edge” version from a few years ago, which works absolutely perfect for me!
Now I added a VMB1RYS, but that doesn’t seem to be supported in the version I have running.

I also have a VP01, and someone (I think it was @MDAR) suggested I could use a 8PBU fot that, which actually worked. So I’m kind of asking the same thing, is there an item I can use in stead of the 1RYS, which will work, without having to update my velbus binding version?

Hello :slight_smile:

The VMB1RYS is supported in the latest public version… is there a good reason why you don’t want to update?

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything else in that form factor that does the same task.

However…

Do you have any Spare “virtual relay” channel in your system on other relays?

You can always add a 0104 action and move your logic to the virtual relay, so that openHAB can see it?

Hello,

I have a velbus installation and OpenHab with the velbus binding.
Is there a possibility to add support for the VMBDALI in the velbus binding for OpenHab?

Cheers,

Roel

Hi

That would be up to the volunteer developers for the Velbus binding for OpenHAB

At this stage, the best you can do is put a request on their GutHub page for it.

Put Velbus in the title in square brackets to help them find it.

IE
[Velbus] feature request - VMBDALI

Or start a thread in the openHAB community forum

However, the DALI module isn’t very common and I very much doubt the developer/s have one to hand to work with.

But, as always, I have a demo rig that they can remotely connect to that does have a VMBDALI module onboard.

As a tip, please be very precise with what you are asking to be supported.

I would imagine that if it were treated like a multi channel dimmer, that could be incorporated quicker than if you asked for all the bells and whistles.

Thank you for the advice, I have put a request on the GitHub page, fingers crossed…

1 Like

@cedricb
@rrajagopal
@PrzemoF
@RCZ
@cereal
@Golfy
@GertSt

(And anyone else with coding skills that wants to join in)

Hello everyone

With the changes on the horizon with #openHAB and Velbus modules, which will also impact #HomeAssistant, I’m wondering if we could form a group to look after the development of the binding / driver ?

Each one of you have amazing skills and I’m very aware of the demand on your private time and your privacy.

If we all joined up, could we do something more amazing and take the pressure off you individually?

Best wishes,

Stuart

I’m in.As long as the code is kept open source I’ll be happy to contriburte, test, coordinate, make manuals, tutorials, whatever will be needed.

What changes are you talking about @MDAR?

2 Likes

Very happy to join in. Shall need to get installation done in my new place though but have some modules that I can still have a play with.

1 Like

I certainly want to join,

what changes are comming, it would be really good if we could have some sort of common protocol description for all bindings/integrations

2 Likes

Of course.
What kind of change? there is nothing on the blog on elsewhere…

2 Likes

Hey Stuart,

would like to join to, not pretty shure if I could contribute much, but I 's like to follow where this is going and maybe have some input left and right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@richturner

Can I tempt you to join in?

Is there a step-by-step write up on setting up the velbis - openHAB bridge? I have the hardware in place, but I can’t find any good manual. There is some info on the openHAB doc pages, but not a proper guide.

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ lsusb | grep VMB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 10cf:0b1b Velleman Components, Inc. VMB1USB Velbus USB interface

If there is none, I’ll make one :smiley:

Did this page not help?

I can see that it might be useful to have a step by step guide, but since creating a Text file Thing bridge, I’ve never thought about it again.

Can I suggest that you first setup something like

Then add a Velbus_Network_Bridge in openHAB

This will mean you can access your Velbus system from Velbuslink at any time.

I have linked to the scripts that will setup Velbus-tcp and a text file Thing file for the Bridge to make it all very easy.

https://www.velbus.co.uk/dl/openhab/velbusbridge.zip

1 Like

The page does help, but when you get into python-velbustcp on github there is no info about how to install it and even for a seasoned user it might not be obvious. For a new user - a show stopper.
I want to prepare a guide that can be followed even if the user has no clue what’s happening, at least on the positive path when everything goes OK.

Oh lord??

Why are you using the Python version?

The snap package is SO easy to install, which is what I aim “newbies” at.
(or I supply it pre-installed on Odroid C4 machines, so super easy for home owners that “just want it to work”)

(But I do understand your background, so I understand why you want to dive deeper)

Can you create an issue on the Velbus GitHub and ask for the installation guide for their Python version.

FYI
Take a look at the Velbus-TCP Snap install script I linked to, to see the steps needed.
Which are a variation on the ones shown on the official Velbus Snap GitHub page

1 Like

I don’t use anything yet, but it’s the first link on the openHAB page about Velbus binding. I thought it’s all OK with that? :slight_smile: Anyway, I’ll do my homework with your help. I need to check if snap works with openhabian. I guess it should

Unfortunately I can’t create issue on github. I moved all my projects away to gitlab and I refuse to confirm my email since MS took it over. Sorry! (call me a weirdo, I have no problem with that!)

1 Like

Feel free to ask whatever you like.

Over the years, I’ve answered most things, so there’ll be something on this forum I can point you towards.

I can’t see any reason why Snap shouldn’t load onto openhabian, it’s based on Debian.

1 Like