Velbus Winter/Summer time auto switch

Dear all,

I have a Velbus installation in my 3year old house, and every year i have to manually connect my laptop to my setup and sync my clock because of it not automatically doing so during summer/winter time.
I do not find info anywhere on what is causing this, if i just need to enable an option or if my hardware/software is not able to do so.

i manly have VMB4RYLD, VMB4RYNO and one VMB2BLE
my software is up2date, i use ‘home automation’ (through my synology) to controle and check my house.

I am by no means an experienced user but with some help i manage my setup :smiley:

Thanks in advance and i hope someone can help me out!

Hi

Just to be clear, do you have any kind of “real time clock” on your system?

Either a Velbus hardware RTC like the old VMB1TC or do you have any kind of computer connected 24/7 with RTC software?

HomeAssistant?
openHAB?

1 Like

I think Home Assistant is the only such package in the standard synology package centre. Published by “SynoCommunity”.

I have not tried installing it but my Synology NAS shows me “Home Assistant Core version 2023.7.3-22” when I search for “Home Automation”.

1 Like

i do have Home assistant that i run through my synology, and my synology is permanently connected.
Could i fix this through Home assistant ?

Yeah sorry i meant Home assistant not “home automation” my bad.

1 Like

Assuming the system time on your machine auto updates, it should just be a matter of enabling the Velbus time update

Services
velbus.sync clock : Synchronize Velbus time to local clock.

I’m not a HA user, but I’ve suggested this a few times and apparently it’s resolved it.

1 Like

i am looking into this but i cant figure it out as fast as i thought, thanks for the help!

That’s what keeps me out of HA.

Everyone tells me it’s easy, but I just can’t seem to get started.

I’m told… “Adding that setting is easy”… But never the details of how.

@cereal

Can you help?

Use the developer tools, there you can manually start the sync clock service.

Or do it like I do, I have an automation to do this every night around 3:30.

Can I kindly ask for a solution for OpenHAB installation?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No configuration required, be default the Bridge Thing sends a time update.

However, you can edit the Thing and change the update intervals

1 Like

i got this far, what now ? :smiley:

Look at the description, use the same connection info as used when you setup the integration

1 Like

Ten years ago, when I first started with Velbus, I wondered about that too. Velbus even offered me one of those RTCs at reduced price. I never bothered and still don’t. I gather that setting the time twice a year on a GPOD is really easy and quick, it helps adjusting the clock that runs quite close to true time. And it is probably a lot less hassle and cost than trying to automate it. I need to do the tour of the house to reset clocks twice a year anyway. Velbus is just one more quick stop. What is the issue with that?

If I need another function and the time sync comes free, I will put it in. But on itself, I don’t find it enough of a downside to not have it to spend time and money on.

That’s a very balanced view of the world.

If ever you want some extra functionality that calls for a mini computer, the automatic time update can happen then.

Thanks for the nice words. Some people may also call me lazy :slight_smile: Truth is I’m 63 years of age and I have experienced that all this modern stuff is really nice but needs constant maintenance and can become a real drag. Simpler solutions tend to have less of that.

For instance: Synology recently pushed an update to my NAS and as a result, a few things I had built myself stopped working. So I had to spend time getting it to work again. I know, I should package it in a container. Even more work.

Then my robot mower (Robomow RL850, 2011) started acting up. It would no longer charge. Temporary fix: I charge the 12 V lead-acids with my specialized car charger (great thing, Optimate). Soon after one of the batteries died.

Then the central heating system started to loose pressure. Leaking automatic valves. I had to add so much fresh water now there is not enough inhibitor left in the system and I need to refill that, only I don’t know what the guy who first did it used so I can’t just refill, I need to completely drain and refill… it never ends!!

So… I like simple…

1 Like

Thank goodness your Velbus system “just works”

I love it, it does !!

1 Like

Besides of the beautiful glass panels, that’s one of the reasons I choose Velbus. It just works. The ‘nice to haves’ is still possible with HA, OpenHAB or the Velbus Gateway… But that server fails, I can still turn on the light.

1 Like