My Velbus journey

I hope it’s not against the forum rules. If it is please remove the post…
I’ll be documenting my Velbus journey - maybe it will be useful for someone in the future.More technical stuff will be here on the forum, but the rest will be here: Velbus – Core Dump

I’m hoping to do all the hardware installation and programming myseff … using the forum wisdom obviously. I have the Velbus power supply and the Velbus USB gateway up and running. The rest in the box is RPI based OpenHAB + power supply. Ignore the cables - some will be replaced. Also the main incomer MCB and LV / ELV section separator will be installed soon.

2 Likes

Today my first real device went on line - a voltage output relay to control a pump. After some initial problems with TLS option (switched on by default, not needed for velserv) everything work smoothly. I can switch on the pump from a velbus controller or (after openHAB configuration) switch or monitor the pump from any web enabled device.

3 Likes

Due to time constraint I decided to temporarily use openHAB to control the pump. schedule As soon as I have a sustainable source of electricity it’ll be switched to “surplus energy mode” controlled entirely by velbus. So currently openHAB scheduler tells velbus to switch on/off the pump. Works like magic!

1 Like

:laughing:

You know the input modules have timers on board???

But, you do it however you want.

That’s the real joy of Velbus

1 Like

Ignorance is bliss. OK, I’ll dig into VelbusLink tomorrow. It doesn’t run stable on linux/lutris, so i have to do it on a windows laptop…

1 Like

Another day, another velbus family device :heart_eyes: The input module is not yet connected (no velbus power, no signal), but it will be soon. The Finder meter has ton of options - I’m delighted to see the phase voltage. I’m having once in a while brown-outs (or i think so), so it should be very easy to check now.
P.S. I just realised my electrician is ignoring cable colours (all blacks, but he is not a Maori)

1 Like

Home backbone ready. First GPOD mounted in the wall. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Another device online: VMB7IN and connected Finder meter. Unfortunately the electrician misunderstood me, so the meter only measures what the house is consuming, but not what the solar panels are producing. I’m not sure if it’'s worth to change the wiring - I’m getting tons of info from the inverter and I’m not planning to use the Edge controllers… Advice? I want to optimise own consumption (switch X on when power reaches X kW, switch this when, etc) , but the logic is not developed yet (in my head :slight_smile: )

Cabling is messy - an old house being fixed cable by cable…

The settings are 500 pulses/kWh .The Finder meter has 1000 pulses/kWh on the front panel, but it’s related to the blinking led, not to the S01 output. S0@ is configurable according to the docs, but I can’t find how. the default seems to be 500 pulses/kWh as well, but I can’t confir it for sure yet.
P.S. I just noticed Litres s unit on the counters in VelbusLink :smiley: My water meter with pulse output is on the way :smiley:

1 Like

Parcel from the Velleman sweet shop arrived today:

The new modules use plug and socket connection. Or Wago connectors (not on photos)

3 Likes

Wago connection block on the back of switch:

3 Likes

I must say I really like the new connectors. Making my own connections by stuffing two of the EIB cable into one connection has proven to be pretty annoying and the VMBRAIL has been somewhat fiddly too. These look quite literally plug&play, foolproof and are likely just an extra couple dozen of cents on the BOM that I would’ve been glad to part with if these were a thing back then.

Not to mention the lovely 1187192 which seems to be much more space efficient compared to VMBTB…

Really outdone yourselves with this one, Velleman!

2 Likes

Another device online: VMB1RYS (the cute relay). I set it to switch on 2h after sunrise and stay on for 7h30m. This is the first time velbus will be saving me money - the relay will control a high temperature electric water heater powered. An hour of running the water heater costs 0.20 euro (1.5 kW * 0.13 kW - price of electricity from the grid). Considering the the high hot water usage mostly hppens in the evenings the water heater was mostly working over night - it was pure waste of electricity. Now the water heater will be heating up to 75-80 deg C, but only when “free” electricity is available. s. Estimated payback time for the relay is ~3 months :heart_eyes: (4 h of operation per day = 0.80 euro, 85 euro is the price of the relay).

1 Like

You could…

Use the “is Light” channel of an external PIR (or weather station) so that it only switches on the heater when the sun is shining?

Or

A bit of software glue between the solar inverter and water heater

Or

Get your electrician to rewire the bi-directional energy meter (correctly)

And switch on the water heater when you are otherwise Injecting to the grid?

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas! The PIR didn’t arrive yet, the software glue - yes, but I’m in the transition period, so the inverter only covers the home usage. I don’t know how much power is available unless I switch the load on. Once that changed I can use the software solution. Or rewire the meter.

1 Like

A new device online: VMB2BLE-10 Double channel blinds controller. No real load connected yet, but it’s up & running. I don’t see it in openHAB - I need to check the code as it might not be yet integrated.

I need to get the RF module and remote controls to make the blinds module useful :slight_smile:

It isn’t in yet, but it has got exactly the same profile as the VMB2BLE, so only the Module ID needs adding.

The VMB2BLE-20 will for this exercise also bere the same profile and just need the ID adding.

@cedricb or @Daniel615e might be able to help.

Unless you fancy tweaking a GitHub entry?

1 Like

I can prepare the code (I’m already involved in amending one binding and making another from scratch), but I won’t upload it to github. MS is on my ban list and they own github, I refuse to log in and I moved all my projects to gitlab :crazy_face:

1 Like

Code making in progress, ID needed. I guess I can squeeze it out of VelbusLink?
Edit: that will need to be updated as well… I guess the VMB2BLE_20 should be added

Edit2: possibly it’s there but as VMB2BLE-10?? 0x4A?

1 Like

Incoming email…

Let me know if you’d like to remotely connect to a selection of modules. :+1:

1 Like

VMB2BLE-20 hasn’t been released yet.

1 Like